Tuesday, January 10, 2006

I GOT a CALL BACK! (and, oh yeah, need a Root Canal)

What a day…I almost don’t even know where to start.

Yes, I do. I’ll start with yesterday.

Yesterday at lunch I thought I’d cracked a tooth. I was eating a new toasted sandwich from Subway when I felt something shift and crunch toward the back of my mouth that didn’t feel or sound right.

I got back to work and my fears were realized. I was missing a chunk of my tooth in the back of my mouth. It wasn’t terribly painful but it did start throbbing about an hour later.

So…this morning I was up and out early and on my way to Bellevue Hospital (which is manned by NYU students). There has been an on-going miscommunication about my health insurance, so Bellevue is the only place I could afford to go. I didn’t mind going there I just didn’t want to take advantage of a system that is designed for those with no benefits. This go around…I was one of those with no benefits.

It took a couple of hours – waiting with students without insurance, convicts from jail, immigrants, etc. – but I got seen. Ends up I need a root canal. I didn’t know exactly what that meant but I knew it would be expensive – wherever it was done. At Bellevue they could remove the tooth but could not perform the root canal. I could go to Dental School and have it done and pay on a sliding scale – but it would still be expensive. Of all my teeth, this one tooth has the longest root. The root runs up into my sinuses. It would take a while to heal and would leave me breathing out of a hole in my mouth for a couple of weeks. The tooth, on a whole, is still great and can be saved...so now it's onto getting it fixed.

I left and went to work where I was greeted with an email announcing a Call Back from my audition on Sunday. They liked my audition and want to hear me sings again and see me work with their choreographer.

First audition, first callback.

I’m thrilled. If it works out or not, I’m excited to be getting this far my first time out auditioning. In this city of thousands of actors it is hard to get in to a lot auditions and when you do it can be a challenge just to be seen. If you do get seen, it is rare that you get a callback.