Thursday, August 24, 2006

Jason's FIRST NYC Gig!

Fun, fun, fun news.

Today I got my first New York gig!

Proving that some time it isn’t always what you know but who you know…I had an a much delayed audition this morning and got gig.

The concert is hosted by a DJ, so all the music has to be tracked. I prefer singing with a piano but this time it’s not up to me – so I’m going with the flow. I auditioned with two tracked songs, Stars and the Moon which I’ve sung many times and the song If I Should Lose My Way which I sang at my last concert in Atlanta.

The storytelling nature and comedic twists of each verse in Stars and the Moon was very well received and in summing up the audition, the director said, “Well..Jason…in a word: perfect.”

The benefit concert titled, We Care III, will be afternoon performance inside a 2.5 million dollar beach house on Fire Island. The concert attracts 300-500 guests, 85% of which are in the theater/entertainment industry. The home has been the venue for several concert and stage productions including an upcoming tribute to Stephen Sondheim.

The event will be September 9th, so expect a lot of entries between now and then as I prepare. I’m an excited buddle of nerves right now. I feel out of shape vocally and as I left the audition it occurred to me that, unless I can get tickets for CeCe and Elizabeth, this will be my first time singing in a place where I know no one!
For this special evening there will only be two performers…a current dance-floor artist from Philadelphia who’s latest single is started to get attention in clubs and me. Of all the people they COULD’VE gotten, I’m very excited to have this opportunity.