Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Back to Songwriting...

Elizabeth came over tonight

I was finally about to give her both her birthday (October ‘07) and Christmas (December ’07) presents.

We got up a bit and then started to the business at hand.

Music.

She started playing a new song (as yet still untitled) and I started arranging, writing and re-arranging lyrics.

It’s a lot of fun getting into a groove with her. She knows where she wants the song to go and I get to help her get there.

I always approach a song as a story. What happened before the first verse? What’s happening during the song? What will happen after the song is over?

I look for a through line…a story. Then we hang the lyrics on that.

For some people that makes no sense…for me, it’s one of the best ways to spend an evening.