Friday, February 06, 2009

Liza Minnelli Tonight...Myron Uhlberg last Saturday...and a story to tell

I'm off to bed...but couldn't not (double negative) post that I had a quick brush by with the divine Liza Minnelli outside the famous resident hotel the Carlyle. I was on the Upper East Side this evening and as I was walking down 76th...there she was.

I'm trying to stay with the writing in my journal...this online journal. So, though be it brief, I'm keeping it fresh.

I am doing alot of writing lately...I have my "real" journal (the private one that I carry on my person and will be published to much acclaim after my passing), I have my Facebook notes and statuses, I have this online journal and I'm back to work on some new songs.

As it relates to writing...I had a wonderful dinner with my friend Myron Uhlberg last Saturday night. He was in NYC celebrating the release of his highly praised memoir Hands of My Father (which was released Tuesday 2/3). Over dinner with Myron and his beautiful wife Karen, our conversation turned to books - as it usually does. He was encouraging me to explore my own story and wanted me to know how much he felt it should be told.

I've had several people (Cassandra Andrews, Jas Sustritch, and others come to mind) over the years listen to bits and pieces of my life story and say that I should get it down on paper. I've toyed with the idea from time to time but as I lay in bed that night after dinner, more and more vinettes from my past started playing in my mind. I just may have some ghosts to revist, pay my respect and put to sleep.

We'll see...

In the meantime, I was able to satiate Myron by telling him that I would consider a memoir of my own but I really wanted him to know that I was kicking around the idea for several children's books.

His advice: kick one around and finish it.