Sunday, September 11, 2005

Making the rounds with NO WIRE HANGERS

The flight down last night was pretty much uneventful. I passed the time…both on the plane and during the layover in D.C. by watching the movie Mommy Dearest on my computer. I had never seen it. It was hilariously tragic to me. Pure camp.

It was awkward coming home and having to rent a car. I hadn’t driven a car in almost 5 months. I haven’t really missed my car. In NYC you just don’t need one. Elizabeth and I live a block and half from the subway. Between the subways and buses (and cabs if you need one) – you can get everywhere you need to be.

I got in and stayed up late last night catching up with Tom & Greg. I hadn’t seen either of them since Greg helped move me up to NYC. They have the cutest (door-free) home in East Point and two of the most loving dogs. I was welcomed right in to the brood.

I was up early this morning and out the door. My first stop was getting my hands on a Chick-fil-a biscuit. Can’t find those in NYC! It’s amazing what you miss.

All day my mind and body have housed a multitude of mixed feelings.

I ran by my old office…no one was there, it is Saturday after all. I slipped a note into the door.

I ran by my old bookstore and was so happy to see my dear friend Cledra was working. I was hoping to see her and there she was. We spent a while catching up. She is one of my soul connections in this life. We are so different, yet so similiar. There's 20 years between us but or bond couldn't be stronger if we were biologically family. She's just a wonderful human being. She's strong, smart and wrapped up in truthful honesty. I love her dearly.

I left the bookstore and ran by to see my friends Kevin & Brian. They have a wonderful new home in Chamblee that I hadn’t seen yet. Brian was out, but Kevin gave me the full tour. They moved in a month or so ago and the home just suits them perfectly. The colors, the openness, the style…it’s a great match, just like Kevin & Brian are to each other.

It’s interesting that two of my favorite couples have nice, fun homes. I’m envious of their space (and their couple-hood). One day…

While at Kevin & Brian’s Laura called…she just got my note at the office. I got the message as I was pulling out of their place and heading over to my old apartment – I had missed her by an hour or so at the office. So close...

Pulling into my apartment…again, many mixed emotions. I hadn’t passed through the gates of the complex since I drove the moving van out.

It was (for me, Jason the big baby) a tearful reunion my Chris and my old roommate Ken – both two of my dearest friends. The apartment looks beautiful and I couldn’t help but mentally and conversationally compare what I had there to what I have in NYC. The apartment in Atlanta seems even bigger than it really is.

Comparisons are never good.

Chris, Ken and I hit Moe’s Mexican grill – a favorite spot of mine – and then headed to the car dealership and started the whole process of selling my car back to them.

I had two solid minutes just before I signed the papers where I honestly reconsidered. My car was really my last tie (physically) to Atlanta. Selling the car would make it even more “real” that I have a new home.

I honestly thought it through…all over again…as if I hadn’t moved. Then I thought about NYC and what I have there. What I will have…what I want and dream of having…

I sold it.

I drove back to Greg & Tom’s and showered and changed and then headed back out…this time to Avondale Estates.

The timing of my trip could not have been better. My friend Katy sent me a message earlier in the day that she had an extra ticket to a cabaret, September Song, that was showcasing a lot of the people I know and loved and had hoped to see while I was home.

Many birds, one stone.

I went to the show with Katy and it was great seeing (and hearing!) everyone. I stayed around to talk to everyone. It was wonderful sitting with Katy and catching up with her in bits and pieces (as well as meeting her boyfriend). Katy was my Sunday Night Movie Buddy. She'd come over in her PJ's and we'd order pizza and watch a movie. Both of us miss those Sunday nights.

In the show my friend Malcom Ellers sang, Close Every Door. Afterwards his first words to me were, “Did I do your song justice?” I could only laugh and say, “It isn’t my song.” He did a great job and it was cute of him to think I had some ownership over the song – guess it comes from having sung it so many freaking times. It is a beautiful song and one that I love singing.

They were all heading to the James Joyce Pub around the corner for drinks and dinner and invited me to join them but I had a couple more people to see and another stop to make before heading back to Greg & Tom’s.

It’s late…VERY late…I need to head to bed.
Tomorrow will be another FULL day