Saturday, July 09, 2005

On the Town with the Boys...and Delta Burke & I

I was up and out the door early this morning and heading to the GAP. Good times.

I worked a short shift and Kevin & Brian met up with me when I got off at 2pm. They’d purchased tickets to the Empire State Building for all of us and we walked in that direction. The lines (and there were several) were very lengthy, but we used the time to catch up. It also rained while we were in line and people left because the observatory had to be closed and visibility was limited. Brian suggested that we stay inside, in the line and see if the rain cleared.

It did.

Smart move.

We finally got to the top and there, laid out before us, was all of Manhattan. It was so cool. I haven’t been to the Empire State Building since I visited NYC with my whole family and I think I was 13. I recently found a picture from that visit. I have a full head of dirty blond hair and I’m wearing a Save The Earth t-shirt and a Hard Rock CafĂ© pin. I need to find it again and see if I can get it scanned and posted.

After we left the world famous Empire State Building, Kevin suggested drinks – as Kevin is known to do. We walked in the direction of one of my favorite bars tucked away on 19th near 8th Avenue. There’s no name out front but inside it is sleek and stylish and the perfect place for a martini.

Tonight the three of us saw the Broadway show, Steel Magnolias (which the movie is based on). The show was good and afterwards we enjoyed meeting the cast – including the divine Delta Burke, who plays Truvy (the role Dolly Parton played in the movie). Delta was late leaving the theater but was so gracious and pleasant.

I spoke with her for a few minutes. We have a couple common bonds…my childhood church, North Park Baptist (in Orlando) where she attended briefly and the play, Sordid Lives. I mentioned North Park and she smiled. She said, “I was baptized in that church.” We talked briefly about Sordid Lives and then we headed home. It was a really long day and we were all beat and ready for bed.
It has been a full day and a LOT of fun.