Sunday, July 03, 2005

Streetcar Named Desire & Another Familiar Face

7/3, Sunday

I slept in this morning. It wasn’t planned but I think my body was still catching up from the last week.

I got to attend another Closing this afternoon. Today the revival of Streetcar Named Desire (with Natasha Richardson and John C. Reily) closed today. I had read a lot about the show because it was produced by Roundabout Theater Company (my first and shortest NYC job). It has never been one of my favorite William’s plays but I did want to see it before it closed.

The play was very good. Natasha Richardson and John C. Reily starred in the production. Both did fantastic jobs. I probably cheated their performances a bit because my mind was still really engaged in Virginia Woolf from the night before. That show was just powerful from start to finish.

In another twist of randomness, during Intermission of Streetcar I noticed a familiar face working at the merchandise counter.

Clint Spires.

Clint and I were in the Southeaster premiere of Stephen Sondheim’s musical, Passion. I spoke briefly about that show and my experience with it in my second cabaret show at Whole World Theater. Passion is one of my all-time favorite musicals. I love the story and the way it is constructed. The show never gives the audience a chance (or musical moment) to applaud. You, as an audience member, have no choice but to stay in the story.

But I digress…Clint has been here 3 years. Because he was working and the Intermission was ending, we didn’t really have a chance to catch up. After the show he gave me his phone number. I look forward to finding out what he’s been up to. I hadn’t seen him since Passion closed and that was in the summer of 1998.

Tonight I’m just relaxing at home. Tomorrow I will have my first shift, a short one, at the GAP. I’m looking forward to it. I’m liking the energy of the store and the people there. I’m thinking this will be a good match for me.
Tonight, besides writing this entry, I’ve caught up with some folks back in Atlanta. I talked to my dear friend Greg and just finished talking to Deanna. It is always good to hear familiar voices.