Saturday, December 03, 2005

- R E N T -

10 years ago the musical RENT opened on Broadway. I was captivated by the show from the moment I heard about it. I remember the show’s creator died on my birthday, before the show even opened Off-Broadway. After years and years of writing and dreaming, Jonathan Larson died on the eve of seeing his dreams realized. The show ended up moving to Broadway and went on to wink every major away – including the Pulitzer Prize.

It was almost two years after it opened before I got to see it (purchasing a Standing Room Only ticket for $25 and standing at the back of the theater throughout the show) but I thought it was incredible. The show was staged on almost a completely bare stage with the power and the strength of the show lying solely on the shoulders of the actors. I laughed, sang, danced and cried through the whole show. When the show hit the road on tour I ended up seeing it every time it came through Atlanta. It remains one of my favorites. It has amazing music and is laced throughout with power of love and connecting your life with others.

A little more than a year ago production began on the film version of the show. Everyone in the New York theater community was wondering what Hollywood would do with the story. Would they water it down, take away the edge to the subject matter, try and make a story about living out of the mainstream comfortable for the mainstream?

Hollywood gave all theater fans something to believe in when it was announced that the director of the film was using almost all of the show’s original cast – most of whom had no film experience at all.

The movie opened on Thanksgiving. I still hadn’t seen it, so tonight Elizabeth and I headed down to Times Square to see the Rent. The theater was packed and there was a great energy in the room.

I really liked the film a lot. I left looking forward to seeing it again. I loved the way they choose to present different songs. The spirit of the stage show was captured beautifully on film. I knew, when the movie started, and the song “Rent” began that movie would be great. The opening scene set in the Village of New York came on and struggling artists were protesting the rent. The guys set fire to unfinished screenplays and songs to warm their apartment. Neighbors are warming themselves anyway they can. The song ends with New Yorkers burning their eviction notices that had papered their neighborhood and dumping them off the fire escapes and into the street. It was an amazing opening to the film and set the whole tone of the film.

The film opened well…#5 in the Top 10. People all over America are experiencing Jonathan Larson’s passion. Whether people agree or disagree with the choices, lives, work, desires, dreams, decisions, etc. that people in the film live – this film will be the first time many see a completely different side of life. A life of artists and addicts who are all searching for their place in the world and in the lives of the ones they love.


I've been very fortunate to sing several songs from the show on different occasions. In my last cabaret show we sang a medley of songs from the Rent and it ended with the show's anthem, "Seasons of Love." People still mention that part of the show - even as recently as last week when I was at my brother's for Thanksgiving - he said that that was one of his favorite songs. There are so many powerful songs in the show/film. I hope more people discover this wonderful piece of theater - either on Broadway, on tour or at movie theater.

Visit:
www.siteforrent.com and the film’s site: http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/rent/site/