Friday, March 03, 2006

Jason Joins a FORTUNE 100 Company

I am absolutely thrilled to announce that I recently joined a brilliant Fortune 100 company. You may have heard of them, you may not have…yet.

Three weeks ago I accepted a position with The Container Store and tomorrow the new store will open at 58th and Lexington in the heart of Manhattan.

The leadership of this company has been nothing but wonderful and supportive of me. They made me an amazing monetary offer and gave me a set schedule that will allow me to make a living and still have mornings to write and audition.

For the last three weeks I’ve been immersed in training for the store’s opening. The training has been fun and engaging. I have been stretched in new ways and I’ve grown so much in such a short amount of time.

Every day and every step of the way I have seen lived out by everyone in the company the qualities – both moral and ethical – that have made them a FORTUNE 100 company seven years in a row (most years in the Top 10).

Please visit:
www.thecontainerstore.com

Now…the back story…because so many people have written me asking about it…

Recently I started to really revisiting why I moved here and what I wanted to accomplish. I won’t dwell on negativity and won’t waste the time and energy to splash it all over my journal, but – as you might’ve guessed, my old job didn’t work out. For over six months I tried to make the most and the best out of a bad situation.

I don’t regret taking the position. I learned a lot. I do believe that the opportunity came into my life for a reason.

I think, in life, we’re all provided with lessons. If we learn them, we move on. We grow.

If we don’t "get it"…the lessons come around again.

One lesson I had to learn, at the end of a very damaging relationship, was that we teach other how they can treat us. A breakthrough in therapy came for me when I was asked to think about the times I accepted things that were unacceptable.

I thought I had learned the lesson. I hadn’t. The lesson revisited me. Recently I found myself once again accepting things that were unacceptable…and I wasn’t seeing it. I wasn’t stopping it. I was teaching someone how I they could treat me. My working environment became incredibly stressful. The way I was spoken to and how I was treated was beneath me.

I looked at my dreams. I asked myself all the hard questions. But that wasn’t enough. I had to take action. I had to reclaim the parts of my spirit that had been crushed.

So I did.

I began looking for another job. During the search I came in contact with The Container Store.

It was a long process but one that was well worth. For launching their company’s largest store The Container Store received over 5,000 applications and resumes. The interview process had many levels and I spoke with several different people before receiving the phone call offering me the job.

I have never felt so supported by such a large company. They have paid for me to have extensive training. They’ve empowered me to make huge customer related decisions for the company. Daily I’ve seen how so many of the decisions that are made for the company are made to best take care of their employees and customers.

Out of 5,000 applications, only 180 people were hired. Having spent the last two days with the two men who started the company in 1978, listening to the principles they believe in and beliefs they founded the business on, I am truly honored to be one of that 180.

I will share some training photos here soon. Also, I have pictures to share from the exclusive Private Party they threw last night. The party had over 2,000 guests and it went on for hours. The food was incredible. The flowers – laced through some of the company’s products – were gorgeous. The live band amazing and the dance floor packed. It was truly one of the grandest nights I’ve experienced.