Friday, March 31, 2006

Ring of Fire

Had a wonderful day off. Very low-key really.

Tonight, for just a couple of dollars, I got to see the new musical, Ring of Fire. The musical is based on the songs written or made famous by the late Johnny Cash.

The music in the show was wonderful. I recognized many of the songs though I’m not overly familiar with Johnny Cash’s work. The show doesn’t tell the story of Johnny Cash, like the recent movie Walk the Line, but it uses his music to flesh out the lyrics of the songs.

On a whole the show doesn’t stand up as a Broadway musical. It felt more like a musical revue. The vocals and performances were both very, very strong. I’m glad I saw it, though I was hoping for more as far as a structure the music…some sort of storyline to follow.

The theater (the Barrymore where I saw Jessica Lange in The Glass Menagerie several months ago) was only half full, so I fear that the show will have a short shelf life, but I am glad for the experience of hearing Johnny Cash’s songs in the heart of Manhattan.

Visit:
www.ringoffirethemusical.com