Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Marie Wiman - His Eye is on the Sparrow

Late last night I received word that Marie Wiman had passed away after a very, very long battle with cancer.

A little more than a year ago, after singing, Marie came up to me and wanted to know if she could talk to me for a second. I said absolutely.

She pulled me aside and told me that the last rounds of chemo she’d been through had been really difficult for her. She continued on saying that while she was lying there she kept hearing my voice singing to her. She said over and over again in her heart and mind she listened to me singing His Eye is on the Sparrow. She said it gave her strength and provided a sense of calm.

She looked at me, with tears filling her eyes, and said, “No one sings it like you.”

Then the tears came to my eyes. I was stunned. I can’t imagine higher praise. The idea that, during such a trying time in one’s life, someone would not only hear a song that I love but would hear my voice – moved me deeply. I can’t think of a better, deeper compliment. It has stayed with me.

Before leaving Atlanta I did my last concert and invited Marie and her husband Scott. It remains a highlight of my life that I was able to dedicate and sing His Eye is on the Sparrow for Marie.

She will forever be tied to that song for me. No matter where I go and when I sing it, I will also think of Marie.

Her funeral is this Thursday. I would love to be there to sing it for her one more time. To sing it as a prayer and as a celebration of her life.
I will miss you, Marie.