Thursday, December 06, 2007

Here it is...

Well here I go…

It’s been a while, yes, I know.

A lot has been going on…since becoming an Uncle. I’ll expound in a minute, but first let me give you a run down:

- I came home from Richmond, VA having become an Uncle for the first time and I now have a computer filled with TONS of “vintage” family photos.

- Took my first vacation in a while. Antuan and I headed to Florida and spent a week at Cocoa Beach.

- We took a side trip while in Florida to visit a lot of my childhood haunts.

- I flew to Dallas to home office of The Container Store.

- I returned from Dallas in time to celebrate my first anniversary with Antuan

- Antuan and I hit famed Times Square nightclub, B.B. King’s, to see my girl Deborah Gibson make her NYC return.

- I’ve ditched my glasses for a new look…contacts. I consider it Phase 1 of my reinvention. Stay tuned in the days and weeks ahead for more details…

- Antuan’s back on the road with the Radio City Rockettes

- I spent Thanksgiving with Elizabeth in her new NYC digs.

- We got our First Snow here in NYC…

Ok, I think that’s it…

So let me start from the top – being an Uncle. I’m lovin’ it. Isaac’s growing up quickly and I’ve turned into that Uncle that runs around with pictures on my cell phone ready to share with anyone and everyone.

In the middle of August, Antaun and I spent a week in Cocoa Beach, FL. The trip was a great vacation but it was also a chance to re-connect with my history – and share it with him.

I’ve visited my old homes in Lakeland and Orlando. In Lakeland we met up with my friend April. We had lunch and then a tour of Lakeland commenced. The three of us drove around for a couple of hours and I pointed out different spots that are a part of my timeline. The hospital where I had my first job (working in Food Service)…my Jr. High (which is now Kathleen Middle School. It was at the school – when it was still a Jr. High that I met April)...the house I lived in throughout my teens…and more. It was difficult and at times fun to re-create my history.

Half way through the week at the beach, we drove over to Orlando. I drove past my old stomping grounds and even went to my elementary school. I couldn’t find our first house in Orlando on Biscayne Drive. I went by the first church that I remember, North Park. It’s no longer a church…but a prep school. That was an awakening. It was like literally watching time move on without me.

I drove by my childhood house on Carmia Drive. It hadn’t really changed. I could see a childhood me running across the brown roof and jumping to the ground.

At my elementary school, Pershing, I was able to locate my 5th grade handprints in the sidewalk.

I remember the handprints. I remember my teacher, Ms. Faircloth, passing out paper for us to practice what we were going to draw/write in the cement. I distinctly remember coming up with something that had nothing to do with me – or related to me. Before we even found the square I could tell Antuan exactly what was one it. My name, the date and a lightening bolt. The lightening bolt was so uncharacteristically me – but I remember feeling the peer pressure to draw something that would say: Boy.

The 5th Grade was the height of being called names: Preacher Boy, Gay Boy, Sissy.

In the 5th Grade I thought everything hung on what I drew in that cement square. Visiting the spot again was emotional, to say the least.

The first week of October I flew to Dallas for training with The Container Store. It was a great week. Being there allowed me great perspective seeing more of the bigger picture…it made me even more excited about what I get to be a part of as a Sales Trainer.

Flying in to Dallas, just outside my window, I spotted the TCS logo across the roof of the office/distribution center. I don’t know exactly what I was expecting…but I didn’t know it would be so massive (1.1 million square feet).

On October 8th Antuan and I celebrated our first anniversary. He came up to White Plains and after work I took him to The Cheesecake Factory (one of his favorite places). Back at his place, later that evening, he surprised me with a Swatch membership (including 2 Swatches) and a beautifully framed picture with three pieces he’d written about me. It was a moving surprise.

In October I ditched my glasses for contacts. I’m working on some personal improvements – and getting contacts was the first step. I was late to work the first week I got them. Trying to get them in took longer than it had the day before an I missed my train. Now…I’ve got it down to a science...more or less.

At the end of October Antuan went back on the road with the Rockettes. He had a couple weeks in Myrtle Beach, SC and now he’s back in Nashville, TN for the run of the show. I’ll get to go down next week for a couple days but, unlike last year, we won’t be together for Christmas.

I’m not thrilled about that…between my work and his work it just doesn’t work.

Thanksgiving was fun this year. I went to Elizabeth’s and she did the whole turkey thing for the first time. She had a couple friends over – including CeCe. I made my brownies and even my mom’s macaroni and cheese. I got the recipe from my mom and tried it out. Now I can’t stop making it. The smell in my apartment as it baked and the first bite…gave me a lump in my throat. It took me back to my mom’s kitchen...Sunday lunch…

This past Sunday we had our first snow. The city is feeling ready for the holidays and I love being here for this season.

That should catch us up…