Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Merry Tuesday

Merry Tuesday.

That’s what I say when I’m blue on Christmas. I'm not a deep blue...but it's not the kind of Christmas I like...so, I just try and look at it as some random kind of day off.

I wasn’t sure what to do with my day…it is Christmas…but all day I’ve been having a hard time finding that feeling of Christmas. I have a Christmas tree and there are present under it…but we all know that isn’t what it’s really about.

It’s about the spirit of Giving and being with the people you cherish in your life. Lots of people have called to wish me a Merry Christmas...but I haven't been answered the phone for fear of being a downer to their day.

Because of a lot of different factors…Christmas found me on my own this year. I was walking that delicate line between being alone and being lonely. I wish I could say that my toes bend on that line…but in fact I’ve spent time on both sides most of the day.

If I had today to do over again and differently...I would've found some way of doing something for someone else...volunteering...something other than have a small pity party.

I slept in…talked to my Brother and then made the decision to get out of the apartment. I didn’t know where I was going or what I’d be doing…but I knew I needed to get out. From my bedroom window the skies were solid blue and the streets seemed very quiet. I wanted something to do in the city…

I hit the streets and headed downtown. I’d thought about seeing a movie…but decided against sitting inside a dark theater on such beautiful day.

So…I got off the subway at 59th street and walked over to 5th Avenue. I decided to check out the windows again – this time in the daylight – and see if I could snap better, clearer pictures. Since it was Christmas day…I figured the rest of the city would be quiet as well. With the city being in a quieter state – I decided to (finally) visit Top of the Rock at Rockefeller Center. Perfect.

As I walked across 59th street I had my iPod playing a mix of my favorite Christmas albums (I’ll share my Top 10 Christmas CDs in a minute). When I got to 5th Avenue, I realized I would not be alone.

The streets were packed. The sidewalks were overcrowded and slow moving as curbside sales of Coach purses and Rolex watches were spread out everywhere. I couldn’t get anywhere near the windows of Bergdorf Goodman’s.

I made my way down to Rockefeller Center…snapping some photos of the Atlas and St. Patrick’s Catherdral…the Christmas tree…the ice skating rink…and Rockefeller Center itself.

I bought my ticket and headed up. The ceiling of the elevator turns clear so you can watch the elevator shaft as you ride up the 64 stories.

There are three observation levels and each is more breathtaking than the one before. Amazingly thick glass wall allow open, unobstructed views of Manhattan.

A picture is worth a thousand words…so I’ll let them do the talking…(see below)

Top Ten Christmas CDs that Should be in Your Collection:
1) Christmas Stays the Same - Linda Eder
2) Christmas to Remember - Amy Grant
3) My Kind of Christmas - Christina Aguilera
4) Home for Christmas - Amy Grant
5) Broadway Cares Home for Christmas - Various Artists (it's worth purchasing just for Lillias While's version of Silent Night)
6) Wintersong - Sarah McLachlan
7) These Are the Special Times - Celine Dion
8) Christmas Memories - Barbara Streisand
9) Christmas in Velvet, Vol. 1 & 2 - Regeneration
10) Christmas in Velvet, Vol 3 & 4 - Regeneration