Sunday, May 21, 2006

AIDS Walk NYC

Today was the AIDS Walk here in NYC. The walk is a 10k through Central Park and the Upper West Side.

I participated in AIDS Walk Atlanta for 6 years. I walked alone. I walked with friends. I walked with roommates.

This year, for the first time, I walked as part of a Team. I walked with The Container Store and we had a nice size group representing my store and stores in Chelsea and White Plains.

The weather was gorgeous and over 46,000 people turned out to walk.

That amazed me. I talked to Ken (one of my best friends and former Atlanta roommate) on my way to the Walk. He said that he believes the Atlanta Walk attracts thousands but not up in the double digits. When we would walk, things would bottleneck at the beginning and then spread out. With over 46,000 people walking…the whole walk was a bottleneck.

A bottleneck for a good cause.

A bottleneck that raised over six million dollars.

Amazing.

P.S. It was nice to see my girl Deborah there to kick off the walk with the classic, You'll Never Walk Alone.