Thursday, May 11, 2006

My Brother Tim arrives in NYC

My brother, Tim, arrived early this morning. He took a bus up from Richmond, VA to spend an extended weekend.

I took Tim on a short round-the-block tour of Spanish Harlem. He liked my apartment. Even though it’s tiny, he commented that Elizabeth and I were doing great things with the space.

We got settled in and showered and then headed back out. I showed Tim the Bloomberg Building which is the home of The Container Store. I introduced Tim around to my co-workers.

We had a little more than an hour before I had to start work, so we walked over a few blocks and stepped into the Southeastern corner of Central Park. We walked through several of sidewalk paths, talking and enjoying the nice breeze. We wound our way through the park to Bethseda Foundtain - my favorite spot in NYC.

I went to work and Tim began exploring the city on his own. He went down a few blocks and took a tour of the United Nations.

As I began working I was surprised to discover that the crew from Queer Eye for the Straight Guy had taken up residence in the store for most of the afternoon. Ted and Thom were filming an upcoming episode. I was at the store’s Information Counter on the second floor during most of the filming and may end up on screen when Ted runs the episode’s “Straight Guy” up our lighted steps.

Later in the day actress Sigourney Weaver made her second visit to the store and evidently Tim and I had just missed Whoppi Goldberg earlier in the day.

Guess our store is quickly building up a nice celebrity clientele.