Friday, May 12, 2006

A Visit to the Bronx Zoo and A Drowsy Chaperone

Today is my day off…so, Tim and I set out for our day.

We ate in the neighborhood. Even though it was early in the day, Tim had a burrito. Wow. How’s that for breakfast food?

I went to a favorite little bakery of mine on 116th and had a grilled cheese on delicious Cuban bread.

I was going to take Tim to the Upper West Side and go through the American History Museum, but since the weather was staying nice and the rain seemed to be holding off, we decided to visit the Bronx Zoo.

Tim and I spent hours walking and exploring the Zoo. The rain stayed away, which was great. It wasn’t hot, it wasn’t cold. It was Goldilocks kind of day. The pictures below will show more about our day together.

Before we knew it…the Zoo was empty. We had no idea that it closed at 5 o’clock – so the end of the day snuck up on us.

We left the Zoo and took a different train down the West of Manhattan. With our day at the Zoo over, I thought we’d try for a Broadway show. Tim and I got off in the middle of the Theater District on 50th Street. As we rounded the corner of the Gershwin Theater, I saw that we’d just missed the lottery for Wicked – the one show Tim had really wanted to see.

We stepped to the Circle in the Square Theater, the theater next door to Wicked, to try for tickets to 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee. Elizabeth and I have seen the show several times and it’s a favorite. I was sure Tim would enjoy the wit and humor of The Bee, but neither one of our names were drawn for that lottery either.

There was one more lottery we’d have time to try for…it was a long shot because of the show’s growing popularity, but I thought it we could at least run by and take our chances.

Tim and I stepped up to the lottery for The Drowsy Chaperone about five minutes before they started drawing names. We both put our names in and waited.

My name was the third name drawn.

An hour later Tim and I were sitting on the front row, dead center, for The Drowsy Chaperone.

Tim loved the show. I enjoyed it even more the second time around. It was a lot of fun seeing it with him…we’re both big laughers.

As we left the theater I pointed out Linda Lavin to Tim. Tim asked me who Linda Lavin was…I explained that Linda was “Alice” from the TV show, Alice. Tim’s face lit up as he recognized her and put two and two together. He immediately began singing the theme song from the show.

He's got a great memory for kitsch.

Visit: www.bronxzoo.com and www.drowsychaperone.com