Sunday, May 14, 2006

Peanut Butter, Ice Cream and Chianti

Happy Mother’s Day!

Tim and I talked to my mom late last night. We didn’t get to talk long but it was good to hear her voice.

Today I got to introduce my brother to one of my dearest friends today. Damon met us at Peanut Butter & Co. for lunch. The place was packed so we took our meals to go and ate in Washington Park.

We had a good time eating, talking and watching to dogs in the Dog Park. We walked through the neighborhood and wound our way back through the West Village.

As we walked up 7th Avenue we passed a 9/11 memorial that I’d never seen before. Hundreds and hundreds of painted tiles were hung on a chain link fence. Messages of peace and hope shined in the sun.

We said goodbye to Damon (but not before he treated us to ice cream at one of his favorite little parlors, Emac & Bolio’s).

Tim and I made our way back uptown. He’ll be leaving tomorrow and before he goes he wants to pick up some perfume for his wife Janet at Bloomingdale’s. We picked up the perfume and shopped around bit before trying to decide on dinner.

We started to eat in the area then decided that one his last night in New York we would do a little more exploring. We hopped back on the train and headed back downtown to Little Italy.

We walked the streets of Little Italy and found a great place to eat. We said at a small table on the sidewalk and watched as people walked by. I had delicious lasagna and a glass of Chianti.

After dinner, to show Tim something that still fascinates me, we walked one block over. In just one block all the signs and stores changed to Chinese. One minute we were in Little Italy and the next we were in Chinatown.

We walked through Chinatown and found MORE perfume for a lot less money. If you look long enough you can find just about anything in Chinatown.

Somewhere between eating in Little Italy and shopping Chinatown (I almost bought a small turtle!), Tim had a craving to see a movie. Even though it was getting late, Tim and I rode the train back up to Times Square and saw Mission Impossible: 3.
It was a very, very full day….I’m beat and ready for bed.