Saturday, May 13, 2006

Red Velvet Cake

I had to work today, so Tim was his own tour guide. He hadn’t been to the Statue of Liberty since he was a kid, so he thought he’d take pay Lady Liberty a visit.

He got down to the ferry and realized that the ugly truths of tourism had set up shop.

There was a fee to ride the ferry to the island and another for visiting the statue. He opted to just ride the Staten Island ferry that would take him as close as he really cared about going. He had no desire to go through the museums on Liberty Island or hike up inside Lady Liberty. The Staten Island ferry was free and would take him pretty close.

As he rode the ferry he was standing next to an older European gentleman and his family. The man’s son and daughter-in-law were standing beside him and the son pointed out the Statue of Liberty to him. When man saw Lady Liberty tears welled up in his eyes and fell down his cheeks.

Tim couldn’t understand what was being said and we’ll never know that man’s story and history – but for moment Tim was able to see what this image of freedom meant to him. Tim had my camera with him, he continued looking out into the distance and quietly turned it in the direction of the man and capture his awe.

Tim rode the Staten Island Ferry roundtrip and went shopping. One of New York’s original department stores – Bloomingdale’s – which is a neighbor to The Container Store.

I got off work and Tim and I went down to Union Square to look for a place to eat. We happened upon a small place that had actually recommended to me earlier in the day. I had already forgotten the name of the place after I left the store, so I was delighted when – of all the streets that spread out from Union Square – Tim and I walked right by Chat ‘n Chew.

The meal was just what we needed…I had chicken fried steak…mashed potatoes…a Caesar salad…and…RED VELVET CAKE! I LOVE Red Velvet Cake and you wouldn’t believe how hard it is to find in NYC. This was the first slice I’d had since leaving Atlanta.

Visit: www.chatnchewnyc.com