Thursday, July 05, 2007

INHERIT THE WIND...

It closes this weekend and I am so glad I got to see it today.

Christopher Plummer and Brian Dennehy on stage together. I'd heard of the play (based of the famous Money Trial of a teacher accused of teaching evolution in the 1930's) but I had never seen it staged or even read it.

The play is incredibly powerful and charged with emotion. Getting to see two power-house actors in this play was truly an incredible theatrical experience. Both men carried themselves with such respect.

Recently I got to see the play, THE YEAR OF MAGICAL THINKING with Vanessa Redgrave portraying Joan Diddion (who's memoir the play is based on). Watching Ms. Redgrave I was struck by her grace. The way she carries herself is almost stately. You respect her without even knowing her.

That's how I felt about watching both Mr. Plummer and Mr. Dennehy on stage. A class act.

Both plays were very powerful and, honestly, out of the norm for what I usually see. I'm so glad I took the detour.