Thursday, July 05, 2007

On Broadway...

There are a lot of people who check out my little blog...my litter corner of the cyber-world...to read up on my theater life here in NYC.

This year's theater season was really exciting for me. I've written about seeing GREY GARDENS and but have only skimmed over some others.

Always scooping out a deal...I've been able to see see some remarkable theater this season. One of the shows that stands out to me is 110 IN THE SHADE starring Audra McDonald. I've been a fan of hers for years and have most of her albums but this show marked this first time I got to see her on stage.

The show (written by the same guy who brought us the longest running musical in history, The Fantasticks) is a very old fashion musical. You know, in your heart and gut, how it will end but that doesn't diminish the journey of getting there.

During intermission I found that I had tears on my cheeks. Not from the story or the music - though they were strong enough to warrant the emotion - but rather from Ms. McDonald's performance. I was speechless. I have never seen a performance like it. Imagine when you were a kid and you first saw a magic trick and you believed in it...you believed in the magic.

That's what it was like watching Audra McDonald embody the character of Lizzie on stage. It seemed beyond real. Otherworldly. Her voice and presence is both powerful and effortless. You realize, while watching her, that you are truly in the presence of greatness and amazing talent.

Colorblind casting only enriches the experience of this story. The honesty and rawness of the roles roped me from the beginning. It is a simple, classic love story that invites - begs - you to let yourself go and enjoy the realness.