Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Auditioning...

This morning Elizabeth and I were up and out the door early heading downtown to an Open audition for Seussical: The Musical. The audition was for a touring production running in the Fall.

I was going in for the role of Horton The Elephant.

For the role of Horton they were looking for:

-2nd Tenor/Baritone
-Bald
-30’s
-Not skinny

The role should be mine.

The audition was only 16 Bars (measures) and reading “sides” from the script.

We there just after 6:30 AM and I was seen around 10:35AM.

I sang 16 Bars from the Opening of Learning to Let Go (from the musical Elegies: For Angles, Punks and Raging Queens). This was the closing song of my first cabaret/concert a couple years ago. I felt that the spirit and mood conveyed in the song would be great for this audition.

As I waited in the sign-in room, I watched hundreds of people come and go…most not even able to get on the list to be seen. When I was taken outside the audition room I waited with a handful of others as actors/singers were led in one at a time.

From the hallway you can hear the audition in progress.

I listened to several guys go in and sing B I G songs…with a string on “money notes.” They were all showing how high and strong they could belt out a note. The more I listened, the more I felt good about my song choice.

My 16 bars start off quiet. They tell a sweet story from the few lines. They build slowly, measure by measure and then end with a strong “money note.” I feel like my song show a nice spectrum.

When I finished my song, the casting director looked up and asked me about the selection. She said it was beautiful and wanted to know what show it was taken from.

I then read a short scene with another person involved with the shows casting.

Then I was on my way.

The whole audition: 45 seconds.