Friday, April 07, 2006

The Drowsy Chaperone

Tonight I saw show that’s been getting nothing but positive word-of-mouth since it started Previews a couple weeks ago. The show just kinda showed up out of no where. It’s called The Drowsy Chaperone and it is the only original musical (not based on a film or book) Opening on Broadway this season. Three months ago I had never heard of it…not a lot of people had…now it is the talk of the town.


The Drowsy Chaperone is unique and just pure theater magic. I LOVED it…start to finish. Anyone who loves musicals, especially musical theater, will love it. It acknowledges and fully embraces the joys of escaping into the music of a show.

About 20 minutes into this one act musical comedy within a comedy I realized that this is what it feels like to see a HIT show - a show where every moment on stage is saturated and used. Nothing is wasted. Everything works.

The first week living here in New York I got to see Sutton Foster in the musical, Little Women. The show was ok with a scattering of nice moments. As I think I probably wrote before in my Journal, you could physically see Sutton carrying the show on her shoulders. She was what made the show work (in the places it worked). It is pure delight to see Sutton Foster on stage in The Drowsy Chaperone. Actually the entire cast is just great.

Visit: http://www.thedrowsychaperone.com/