Friday, April 14, 2006

The Wedding Singer AND Based on a Totally True Story

I normally have Friday’s off, but I worked today so a co-worker of mine could have a long weekend with her family for Easter.

This is an exciting time in the city. New shows on and off Broadway are Opening almost weekly. Some are praised before they even Open, others are ripped to pieces…also before they even start. Two huge mega-musicals, Elton John’s Lestat and Disney’s Tarzan are two such examples. Both shows are still in Previews but critics and audiences are being very vocal about the work that still needs to be done before their official Openings.

I haven’t seen either, so I can’t comment. Yet.

One big show I have seen is The Wedding Singer. It is based on the Adam Sandler film that came out several years ago. I never saw the movie but I got a chance to see the show last night while it is still in Previews. Audiences are loving this film to stage musical. It is a lot of fun. Not the best show I’ve seen but a good show. There is a lot of energy and many stand out performances.

I love that Stephen Lynch is making his Broadway debut as the lead in this show. It must be an incredible feeling to have your face plastered all over Times Square before you’re even a household name. He did a great job in the show. He had an amazing energy on stage and was strong throughout. For me, it was also good to see Felicia Finley back on stage. I saw her several years ago in one of my favorite musicals, AIDA.

The show hasn’t officially Opened yet, so there are still changes being made. I know with other shows, like the forthcoming musical Lestat, changes are made daily…sometimes just hours before it starts an actor is handed new lyrics or lines to a song he or she will be singing later that evening. I like The Wedding Singer. It’s a cute, fun show. It seemed a little long to me but the whole audience was eating ever note out of the performer’s hands.

Visit: http://www.theweddingsingerthemusical.com/

Some times smaller shows can get lost amid the big blockbuster musicals and plays. Tonight I saw a great Off-Broadway, Based on a Totally True Story. I loved, loved, loved this play. It was funny and ever moment was so well timed.

The lead actor, Carlson Elrod, was fascinating to watch. Entertainment-wise I enjoyed the show immensely but craft-wise I thought he was pure and brilliant. I found myself studying him. I would see the show again just to go back to “school.” The mannerisms and expressions Carlson wraps the character of Ethan in were wonderful, honest and real. It was great. Absolutely great. The same can be said of the show other leading man, Pedro Pascal. He was beautifully intertwined with Carlson’s timing and their dual story-telling seemed so natural it was like a window into their character’s relationship.

I am not ashamed to say that I laughed throughout the show and by the last few moments found myself moved to tears by the honesty of the life and emotion conflictions that were shown. The show didn’t have some overly dramatic, mushy ending. The play ended in reality and that’s what hit close to home for me. I related to moments in the show that I’ve personally stood in.

Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, the show’s playwright is to be commended for sharing his life and through a play that’s based on a totally true story – his.

Visit: http://mtc-nyc.org/BasedTrueStory/index.htm