Sunday, April 23, 2006

Lestat

Well…LESTAT.

What can I say?

I read Anne Rice’s novels a couple of years ago…Interview with a Vampire and The Vampire Lestat.

I love the music of Elton John and Bernie Taupin. They’ve given us some of he best songs written in popular music.

But together…they just don’t work.

It had the makings of a great show. I really wanted it to be great. It just isn’t. There are several beautiful songs and nice moments in the show, but the story is nothing but holes. You can’t follow it, no matter how hard you try. The moments you think you do know what the story is, you realize that it’s really just a day in the life of Lestat and you’re seeing a snapshot that doesn’t explain where it’s going.

Elizabeth and I hoped to win a lottery to see Drowsy Chaperone, but didn’t. So, using her Student I.D., we got $25 Student tickets for LESTAT – literally 30 minutes before the curtain went up.

So, it wasn’t a major investment. Speaking of investments…it should be said that the actors in LESTAT were incredible. Beautiful voices and powerful presence on stage. When the show was over and Elizabeth and I were riding the subway home I said it was very obviously to me that they were all doing the best with what they were given to work with.


Visit: www.lestat.com