Thursday, November 16, 2006

Jason in Nashville

Well...3:30am came VERY early.

I was up and out of the apartment before 4am. I walked up to 125th Street and looked for the first M60 bus of the morning, the 4:16.

Around 4:20 the bus rolled up. Packed front to back. There wasn’t room for me or my suitcase. The second bus, the 4:36, was next. It showed up on time and had some room.

I piled on and headed to the airport.

My flight left on time and I arrived in Nashville on few minutes early. I claimed my bags and waited by the rental cars for Antuan. I heard a familiar voice behind me asking if I was waiting for someone.

I was.

I was waiting for the one standing in front of me.

Our reunion and the beautiful flowers he’d brought me, garnered attention from the ladies working at the Budget Rental car desk. There was some pointing and giggling.

I didn’t care.

I was standing beside the guy I love AND I had an arm full of flowers. When was the last time they could say that?

It was great to see Antuan. I had missed him terribly. We settled in at his place, a Residence Inn several miles from Opry Land, and then we made our way to the Waffle House next door. We’d both been craving Waffle House for months. New York may have a lot of things...but we don’t have a Waffle House.

Then we made our way to Opry Land where Antuan dropped me off to work with Peachtree Publishers at the NCTE conference. My trip to Nashville happened to coincide with a book show that I’ve worked for years with Peachtree. This is the show where I always see my good friend and childhood friend, April.

I hadn’t been in the trade show booth for over a year and half but it was great to step back in and start selling books again. I saw former co-workers, Alyssa and Barbara, and many of the educators I’ve worked with before. April stopped by and Peachtree author, Lester Laminack arrived for his scheduled book signing.

All of the above were so excited to meet Antuan, who’d parked the rental car and come inside. He met and charmed everyone in a matter of seconds.

After a little bit, Antuan left and I stayed to work for a few hours. He picked me up at the end of the day and we went back to his suite.

He made dinner and then it was time to head to the Grand Ole Opry. I dropped him off for his call time at the theater and then I met up with Lester and his best friend, Reba, to see the Radio City Music Hall’s Christmas Spectacular. Lester and Reba got us amazing seats in the Mezzanine looking down at the stage. The view from above was perfect. Looking down at the stage provided the a great angle to witness the famous precision of the Rockettes.

The show was AMAZING. From the moment the curtain rises, Antuan is right there - front and center. He did a great job. I was impressed by the entire cast. I had never seen the Rockettes perform live, so the whole show was new to me.

Afterwards, Reba, Lester, Antuan and I went to Applebee’s to catch up. It was great sitting there with Antuan as Reba and Lester got to know him better.

Day one in Nashville: GREAT.