Thursday, November 09, 2006

When We Last Left Jason (PART 1)

Well...here I am.

Man, it’s been a while since I’ve written an entry here in my Journal. Look who I'm saying that to...haha. I've gotten so many "Where are you?" e-mails, phones, etc. I have been away from my Journal and I've missed it terribly.

There is a good reason.

So...let me catch you up...

When last we left Jason...PART 1.

I was rehearsing and getting ready for my first NYC gig. The week before the concert I was rehearsing but also feeling under the weather. I started running a fever and overall felt incredibly lousy.

With 3 days to go to the concert I decided the best thing to do was see a Doctor and trying and start feeling better. I woke up, found a Dr. on-line and got on the subway. I felt worse as I walked to the subway. I felt shaky and light-headed.

I rode down the 6 Train to 33rd Street to go to a Doc-in-a-box place (Urgent Care). This is where the details get fuzzy. Literally.

As I stood up in the train, my blood sugar fell and so did I. I was severely dehydrated as well and my body needed to rest. When I came to, I was laying on the subway’s platform. I was bleeding and disoriented. I didn’t know where I was or what had happened to me. I saw the blood on my backpack and I panicked.

To make a really long story short(er)...I was taken the hospital. Every kind of test was run. Evidently the subway door hit my face while I was in the midst of passing out, so I also needed to have my eye stitched up. There were x-rays and more tests and the I was admitted for observation.

Even in the emergency room I was running over lyrics with Elizabeth and CeCe and thinking of ways to rest as much as possible, make it to the concert and get home. I didn't want to miss it. I had auditioned and landed to job and it would be my first performance outside of Atlanta. I was READY for it. As the day wore on and I was being shown to my hospital room, it became evident that I wouldn’t be singing.

I was really heart-sick about not getting to take advantage of this amazing opportunity but I was also really concerned with my health and what was under the bandages.

All the tests came back negative. My body was fighting off a virus but nothing that would develop into anything serious. I was on a constant IV for 3 of the 4 days as they got my body re-hydrated and fighted off a raging fever that came and went every couple of hours.

I was admitted on Thursday and I was checked out on Sunday. As I got dressed Sunday morning, I took off the bandages so I could get a good look at my eye and face. I knew how it felt but I wasn’t sure what it looked like.

Sometimes things look worse than they feel.

How my face looks in the pictures below was exactly how I was feeling. Some seem scary to me All of them were taken my first day home from the hospital. I had CeCe take them with me sitting by the window so I would have all natural light. All those colors you see are real. No make-up or touch-ups. Personally, I didn’t know the body was capable of such a pallet.

My recovery was very slow. I didn’t have a lot of energy or strength. I was anxious to return to work but my body just couldn’t keep up with the demands of being on the sales floor. Everyone was very patient with me and slowly I resumed my normal schedule.

I’ve become more aware of my body since all of this happened. I’m eating better and listening closer to my body. As a result, I’ve lost weight and I’m feeling good.

This mini-adventure was my first step away from keeping up with my Journal and keeping everyone in the loop. But I’m back now. So...stayed tuned for Part 2 of: When We Last Left Jason, which I’ll try and post in the next day or so.

I’ll give you a hint about its content:

I’m in love.