Friday, November 10, 2006

When We Last Left Jason (Part 3)


When we last left Jason...the 3rd and Final installment.

The same week I was saying goodbye to Antuan, I was flying to Richmond, Virginia to see my Mom & Dad who were in the States on a month long furlough.

My trip to Richmond also marked my maiden voyage on JetBLUE airlines. I was very impressed with their service, planes, staff, etc. I wouldn’t normally write about an airline or company but I had such a good experience that I thought I mention it in the hopes of sending some business their way. JetBLUE was recently connected to The Container Store in a TIME magazine article. Both are known for their unique customer focus/service. I experienced the connection firsthand, I was extremely pleased. From buying the ticket over the phone to watching DirectTV during the flight - it was a new and positive trip.

Visit: www.jetblue.com


I arrived in Richmond and it was a sweet reunion with my Parents. I hadn’t seen them in over a year and half. As I was claiming my bags, I turned around to see my Mom snapping pictures from the moment she walked through the sliding glass doors.

I had 4 days in Richmond. We had no real plans. Every day we just did whatever we wanted.

We drove around Richmond. Finding unexplored roads, looking at trees still holding onto their colored leaves. We took a road trip to D.C. - making a side trip through Alexandria, Virginia and stopping over at a Container Store. I had a good time showing them around the store and giving them a feel for the style and spirit of working for such a unique company.

We arrived at the store in Alexandria as they were unveiling Gift Wrap Wonderland. A huge campaign for our stores across the country. As the holiday season approaches the store presents the most amazing, exclusive gift wrap as well as different types of stocking stuffers and boxes. People wait all year to see what kinds of paper will be displayed and sold.

It was beautiful.

As I walked around the store I spotted and employee, Josephine, who was key trainer for me when my store in Manhattan opened. I spent many hours learning the ropes first hand from her. I didn’t know I was standing in her store when she came walking down the stairs. It was unexpected reunion.

Visit: www.containerstore.com


From the store when drove into D.C. and had a great time taking in the sites from the comfort of our rental car. We took our time and just enjoyed being together in my brother’s favorite city.

The rest of the weekend was spent eating out, driving around town, and shopping. Before we knew it, I was needing to fly back to New York and Mom & Dad were preparing to fly back to Africa. Our last night was spent opening beautiful gifts Mom & Dad had brought from Uganda.

A hand-carved Nativity, a wooden carving of a family, woven baskets, and a small leather box containing a check enabling us to fly to Africa in 2007 to see them. Tim, Janet and I were all speechless and excited. Looking through their pictures and hearing their stories creates a burn to experience it for yourself.

I look forward to sharing entries in this Journal from Africa.