Friday, April 15, 2005

And now I know
Spanish Harlem are not just pretty words to say
I thought I knew
But now I know that rose trees never grow in New York City
Until you've seen this trash can dream come true
You stand at the edge while people run you through
And I thank the Lord there's people out there like you.

Those are lyrics from the Elton John hit, Mona Lisa & Mad Hatters - one of my all-time favorite Elton John songs. As I explored apartments in Spanish Harlmen today that song kept coming to mind as I walked the streets.

I found an WONDERFUL apartment and think it will be the perfect first home for Elizabeth and I as we get our feet on the ground and become New Yorkers. I looked at 5 or 6 apartments in Harlem and the last one just felt like it. The kitchen is very, very tiny (so is the bathroom) but the living area and bedrooms were bigger than the other apartments I had looked at. It was on the fourth floor, the floors had recently been refinished and the whole apartment had been repainted.

Something spoke to me saying that this would be the one.

My dear friend Damon was able to accompany me for day and as a New Yorker of 9+ years he had a lot of vaulable insight. We spent an hour in the park working the math, thinking outloud, and me on the phone to Elizabeth in Atlanta. After 40 minutes on the phone and bad sunburn on the top of my bald head - Elizabeth and I decided that we'd get it.

Damon and I started the paperwork and they started the Credit Checks. Within a few minutes we were approved and I was paying a security deposit and the apartment was being taken off the market.

By late afternoon Damon and I were back on the 6 (the subway line closest to the new apartment) heading downtown and I was one step closer to becoming a New York resident. I was on CLOUD 9.

Damon grabbed a nap before going into work and I changed pants (when I sat down on a park bench to talk about the aparment - I sat squarely in a wad of pink gum.) and celebrated becoming a New Yorker by heading back into the city and calling my brother to tell him about the place.

Between talking off and on all afternoon with Elizabeth and then my brother - I ran down my phone battery and missed connecting with my friend CeCe who was in the city for the day from Providence.

I was walking through Times Square with a dead cell phone and decided to continue celebrating on my own and see if I could get a cheap ticket to a Broadway show. I did. I scored a ticket to the new stage musical version of CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG.

After the show I did my homework. Elizabeth asked me to check out the apartment again - at night and report on the neighborhood and how I felt there at night. Smart girl. Gotta love her.

So tonight I went back to the 116th Street stop on the 6 Train and walked the two blocks to the apartment. It was great. People were still out and about but no one was really loud. I saw four policemen walking their beat. The streets were well-lit. So, I headed back to my friends place here in Astoria.

I feel like soon we will have a New York address.

-J

MONA LISA & MAD HATTERS (lyrics: Bernie Taupin/music: Elton John)
And now I know
Spanish Harlem are not just pretty words to say
I thought I knew
But now I know that rose trees never grow in New York City
Until you've seen this trash can dream come true
You stand at the edge while people run you through
And I thank the Lord there's people out there like you
I thank the Lord there's people out there like you
While Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters
Sons of bankers, sons of lawyers
Turn around and say good morning to the night
For unless they see the sky
But they can't and that is why
They know not if it's dark outside or light
This Broadway's got
It's got a lot of songs to sing
If I knew the tunes I might join in
I'll go my way alone
Grow my own, my own seeds shall be sown in New York City
Subway's no way for a good man to go down
Rich man can ride and the hobo he can drown
And I thank the Lord for the people I have found
I thank the Lord for the people I have found