Friday, April 22, 2005

Leaving the Peaches

Well, today was it…my last day in the office at Peachtree. Yesterday they threw an amazing going away party for me. There was a precious book they put together of letters, photos, quotes, stories, etc. I was so touched as I flipped through the pages. It will be a little while before I can read it. There was an impressive spread of food - each dished tied into a Broadway show. All the Peaches were gathered and several surprise guests were also on hand to say goodbye - Peachtree authors, Lester Laminack, John McCutcheon and Carmen Agra Deedy. Though my future work for Peachtree is cut out for me, it was still terribly hard to say goodbye today. It is a wonderfully rare privilege to work with your friends. I feel truly blessed that I have spent the last eight and half years working beside people I trust, love and admire.
I was very emotional leaving. Everyone packed themselves into my office for a group photo. I didn’t try to hold back the tears. As I collected my things everyone formed an impromptu receiving line of sorts in the hall outside my office. As I passed person to person, the tears ran. As I hugged each neck, thousands of stories and memories ran through my mind.
I drove home, crying most of the way. It was like I could physically feel a chapter of my life closing. I could feel the unknown.
I was emotionally and physically overwhelmed by the time I got home. I decided to take a nap. I stretched out on my bed and woke up 3 hours later.