Saturday, June 25, 2005

The Glass Menagerie

I had to work all day. Terry took in Hurly Burly, which closes next weekend. I hope to see it before it closes. It is suppose to be good.

Another facet of theater life…the opposite side of the move-in, would be the move-out.

The BROADWAY, NY store is nestled just under the Marquee Theater home of the revival of La Cage Aux Folles. The show closes tomorrow and yesterday and today I saw dancers walking out with the remnants of their dressing rooms bagged up. I haven't gotten to see the show but I'm told that it's really a wonderful production.

I remember that feeling. I always make a dressing room my home away from home. In almost every show I’ve been in my dressing room has always been the place to hang out. I always have music, pictures, gifts, flowers, etc. A dressing room is a sanctuary.

Tonight Terry and I saw The Glass Menagerie with Christian Slater and the amazing Jessica Lange. It closes next weekend and I’m glad we’re getting to see it.

It’s been a day of heavy plays for Terry – it will change tomorrow with a couple of musicals.

The show was fantastic. We had great seats and enjoyed the show from start to finish. One rare highlight of the evening was the opening of the second act. A unexpected reaction from the audience that Christian Slater played off of ended up making co-star Sarah Paulson break character and get the giggles. She fought it as best she could but lost it after trying to continue on with her lines. Christian Slater got caught up and it just built from there. Jessica Lange made her entrance, saw the situation, and turned right around and walked back off stage.

The audience indulged her and let her work through it. They had to restart the scene twice but they finally got things back on track.

A few minutes later, Jessica Lange had re-entered, Christian Slater exited and the scene continued. Sarah’s giggles returned and this time Jessica Lange went down with her. Both women clutched each other and turned inwards as they laughed.

It was so funny watching an acting giant like Jessica Lange loose it in front of an audience. That happened to me once during Sordid Lives and there is a real sense of nakedness about it. It is reassuring to know that it happens to everyone.