Friday, June 17, 2005

Thrill Me

Happy Birthday TIM!

Today’s my brother’s birthday. I haven’t been able to get ahold of him. He’s in Alabama somewhere for a wedding.

Tonight Elizabeth and I saw the Off-Broadway musical, Thrill Me. I had heard different things about the show but we both wanted to see it.

It was truly Off-Broadway. The theater was in the basement of a Methodist Church just off 5th Avenue.

The performances in the show were great. Very intense. The subject matter – the famous gruesome murder of an innocent child by thrill killers Leopold & Loeb – is far from the material you would think of for a musical.

The show is performed with just two men and only the piano for orchestration. The sets, props, etc. were all very simple but that seemed to balance the heaviness of the subject matter.

It isn’t the kind of show I could go through again but I’m glad we saw it. There were moments…like the abduction of the child that were chilling. I would love to sit down with the actors and talk with them about what they go through to reach into the darkest sides of humanity to bring those characters to life.
Visit:
www.thrillmethemusical.com