Thursday, June 02, 2005

Luna Pays a Visit

I had an interview with the GAP this morning. Retail is a great way to freshen up one’s wardrobe while making some money. So we'll see what happends.

Also, yesterday’s “brush-up” at the Temp agency must’ve worked. They called this afternoon about placing me somewhere.

Today it was back over to the Javit’s for round table sales presentation of our book Little Rabbit Runaway. I met up with Barbara and we set up. I rolled posters and Barbara reviewed her notes.

The session began and I was absolutely THRILLED to discover that the keynote was none other than Julie Anne Peters. I had the privilege of reading her book Luna last year and then met her a year ago at the American Library Association’s annual conference. Meeting her was an unexpected delight. I had just finished reading an advance copy of Luna before flying to the trades show in Orlando.

She captured the voice, spirit and journey of Luna beautifully. I’ve read lots of Young Adult books for teenagers and there was something so strong about her book. It was like hearing a foreign language for the first time, a language I almost understood. I knew the heart of the language, even if I couln't speak words. She was telling the story that hadn’t been told. Incredible.

I fell so in love with the story and the characters that when I first spoke with Julie I wanted her to tell me that there would be a sequel. The characters in the pages of Luna had become a part of my life…I had wanted to hear so badly that the story would continue. She smiled at me and said that she was delighted that I loved the book but that Luna’s story ended there – on the page – but she hoped that in the minds of her readers they would envision Luna healthy and happy.

Visit:
www.julieannepeters.com

Julie Anne Peters has a new book, Far from Xanadu, and she was speaking about her trusted relationship with her editor and the process of finding the voice of her characters. When she finished speaking Barbara and I had to get ready and Julie was surrounded by booksellers, so I didn’t get to speak to her – but hopefully I will tomorrow.

Barbara and I sat at our first table and we were rotated to different tables every 12 minutes. At each table we started from scratch…talking up the book and summarizing the story. The book, Little Rabbit Runaway, is one of our most highly anticipated books this season. The author, Harry Horse, is quickly becoming one of Peachtree’s best-selling authors. His first two books: Little Rabbit Lost and Little Rabbit Goes to School continue selling very well. Both were gloriously reviewed in trade magazines and the momentum behind his new was is really great.

After moving through four rounds, I was back out on the street and walking toward Roundabout’s office on 46th. I stopped by the EarthCam once again, while talking on the phone. I got home tonight and got an email from my friend Arleta – she’d caught me on the cam and was happy that I looked well. I’m making it a point to stop by there on my way to work. I’m usually reading or talking on the phone.

Visit: http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/timessquare/

I met Arleta almost a year ago in line for Bill Clinton’s signing of his autobiography, My Life. We were in line for a while so we got to talk a lot. I had just begun rehearsing for my Embrace the Journey show and she said she’d really like to come. And she did. She was there, Opening Night I believe, cheering me on.

When I left Atlanta she came and spent an afternoon with me. She packed up my kitchen and bathroom, which freed me up to pack up my sheets, towels and pictures. She’s been so wonderful and supportive of me.

Tomorrow is a full day at Book Expo America…so, I’m off to bed.