Friday, June 10, 2005

Michael P. White at Work and Mama Dell's A Comin'

We got up and took the subway into the Bronx to meet up with award-winning illustrator, Michael P. White. When he and Traci were visiting for their anniversary a couple weeks ago, they mentioned Michael’s school visit. I said I’d love to check it out and see what it is he actually does. I’ve shipped books to his school visits for years but I’d never actually sat in on one.

Today…all that changed.

Elizabeth and I were up early and on the 6 train headed to the Bronx. While we rode the subway the bottom fell out of the sky and when we reached our station we were greeted with a Noah’s-flood-worthy downpour.

The station was close to the school but we weren’t working with the best directions, so, we just walked in the rain. Clutching our umbrellas, we charted our course by the direction the yellow school buses splashing water onto the sidewalk. We made a couple of wrong turns before making the right one and arriving at P.S. 195.

We signed in and were directed to the school’s library. We passed under the sign welcoming Michael and walked in to find him busily preparing for his first class.

Elizabeth and I sat through 3 of his sessions and each one was entertaining and creative. Every kid left feeling like an artist…and, well, being one. Even the teachers and librarians got in on the fun – as did Elizabeth and I. Packed with puns and lots of humor, Michael guided all of us through the process of drawing, painting and telling a story.

It was good to see Michael again - twice in month.

Elizabeth and I returned home to grab a quick bit to eat before settling into to finally apartment preparations. Elizabeth’s boyfriend (Nathan) and her mom (Mama Dell) arrive tonight for a weekend here.
I took some pictures of the apartment…pictures of my room will follow soon.