Saturday, October 01, 2005

Back in Atlanta - Hitting Target HARD

I got in late last night…really late. For reasons never explained to us, the airplane taxied around the runway for almost thirty minutes. It wouldn’t have been half as bad if the pilot hadn’t just said, “We’ll push off, have a short taxi out to the runway and be on our way to Atlanta in an hour and forty-five minutes.”

Anyway…we finally got in to ATL

I got settled in to the hotel.

Once again…my first stop on a Saturday morning in Atlanta:
Chick-Fil-A.

Yum.

I laid low today. It has been a crazy week and it’s catching up with me fast. I didn’t get around to see many people but I did swing by my old bookstore.

I also did some shopping.

Elizabeth and I shop at a Target in Brooklyn and we usually go together to help each other. After just one trip and buying more than you can comfortably carry and manage on a train – you learn how to plan out your shopping and really know what you need.
Elizabeth recently went to Target without me and bought way more than she needed. Actually it was all stuff she needed but it was way more than she could manage. She had fought with oversize Target bags all the way up the 5 train to our apartment at the opposite end of the island of Manhattan. She’d called me from the sidewalk to ask for help getting the bags up the stairs.

Of course I helped her…but not without picking on her for buying more than she could handle. Sometimes she and I still shop like we’re in Atlanta and can leave a store and throw everything in the back of our cars.

While in Atlanta I hit my old Target – which has things my NYC Target doesn’t have. I stumbled across a sale on bedding. I found a $65 duvet I had been looking at marked down to $22. So I had to get it. Then I found matching pillows that were $4 a piece. I needed those too. Then wandering through the Men’s Department I came across new “vintage” t-shirts. For $10…so I picked a couple of them.

As I walked out of Target I realized I was walking to a RENTAL car and going back to a hotel, where I had just one bag to put everything in. I can no longer say ANYTHING to Elizabeth about schlepping stuff from Brooklyn to the upper, upper East Side of NYC…I was planning on trying to FLY with my abundance.

I met up with Dennis and we ran through tomorrow’s song twice. It all came back to me…like riding a bike. As I sang I felt a little out of shape vocally. It has been so long since I have had to rehearse and sing.

I’m trusting and believing that tomorrow will go well.

After rehearsing I had dinner with Dennis, his wife Gail, their daughter Katy and a sweet lady named Meg. Meg has been a loving and wonderful support to me any time I’ve been in Avondale. She’s just as sweet as she can be. I was honored to sing at her husband’s funeral several months ago. Meg’s husband, Si, loved to hear me sing. He loved Gospel music and I was so touched to honor him at his funeral. Over dinner I shared New York stories and we all stuffed ourselves.
It feels good to be home.