Thursday, October 06, 2005

Kinsey Scale

Elizabeth and I worked at our respectable jobs all day and then headed off-Broadway to see a respectable show about sexual relationships. Actually, it is a musical comedy based on the life Alfred Kinsey and his research into human sexuality. Its called Dr. Sex and it has been hailed as the most wholesome musical about sex on stage in New York City.

Alfred Kinsey led a fascinating life and his pioneering efforts in the areas of human sexuality led the way to opening a lot of doors to new understandings in science and sex. His life was also the subject of the Oscar nominated film Kinsey that came out last year starring Liam Neeson.

I LOVED the film and the way it explored the facets of Kinsey’s life…the censorship he faced and the truths he brought to light. I knew very little about him and now I’m really intrigued by his life…especially his religiously repressive childhood and the sexual frontiers he charted.

The musical was very entertaining and the cast boasted some great New York talent . I wasn’t blown away by it but I am glad that I got to see it. It didn’t have the depth of the film or his life…but hey, it was a musical comedy. Thanks to a great connection we have, Elizabeth and I were on the front row for under $5 a piece. Just after getting the tickets it was announced that the show will actually close this weekend because of another show coming into the space and another off-Broadway house isn’t available as yet.

Visit:
www.drsexthemusical.com
and
www.kinseyinstitute.org