Friday, October 07, 2005

Rain and Pain

Yuck, yuck, yuck. The rain has arrived. It is officially ushering us toward Fall. There has been a constant drizzle all day.

We have more guests arriving. Two of Elizabeth’s teacher friends and past My Fair Lady and State Fair co-stars, Ginny and Andrea. They’ll be here for a LONG weekend.

I got another cheap, cheap, cheap ticket – this time to the much heralded total monologue play, Thom Pain (Based on Nothing) which is running off-Broadway in a tiny theater off Union Square.

I didn’t really know what to expect. I knew that everyone who had seen it, loved it. But I didn’t know what it was about. I don’t think I can explain it either except to say it was brilliantly written and acted. The entire show, a one-act monologue, is just a man standing on stage with a full pitcher of water, full glass, small table and one folded chair. He begins telling his story and from the first moment to the last you are with him.

It was incredible.

He invites you, no demands you, to visualize a child…and you do. He plays off the whole, “Don’t think about a Pink Elephant.”

Check out the website below to find out more about the show. It is SO worth seeing. I have a list of Dream Roles to one day play…Sweeny in the musical Sweeny Todd, Proctor in The Crucible and now the role of Thom Pain.
Visit:
www.thompain.com