Monday, October 31, 2005

Lost At Halloween & Oscar Goes Pumpkin

Happy Halloween!

Well, I had heard that Halloween was huge in New York City, but I had no idea it was as big as it is. There is spectacular parade through the Village that televised and attracts close to a million people. Everyone knows about New Year’s Eve in Times Square but Halloween in the Village dwarfs December 31st by comparison.

I worked all day while Eric went around town with Nathan & Elizabeth. Robin, my boss’ daughter decided to be Dorothy Gone Blonde 2005 for Halloween (I got to order the ruby Ruby Red Slippers). Since she's a blonde, and Judy Garlend was a burnette - Robin had to make changes to the name. Too cute. Oscar was Toto Gone Blonde 2005 (since he's a light brown color and we all know the original Toto was black). With this change, the early costume choice of a pumpkin (see pictures below) was scrapped.

After work, I jumped on the train to meet up with Eric, Nathan and Elizabeth. I got down to the Village and was overwhelmed by the throngs of people packing the streets. Different roads were blocked off. Security was tight. It was huge. After trying for almost an hour to get through it became evident that I would never reach the other side of 6th Avenue to meet up with Elizabeth, Nathan and Eric.

I finally gave up the ghost (pun intended) and headed home.

Little depressed about it not getting to take part in the festivities and not getting to meet up with Eric, since Halloween was the whole reasoning behind planning his trip up this weekend.

But, what can ya do?