Thursday, August 06, 2009

2 New

I was telling my dear friend Antuan today that I feel like I'm tapped into something different these days.

I've gone the last couple months without writing...songs, in my personal journal, in this BLOG, letters, etc....now...I've hit some underground current. Inspiration has been tailing me lately. I've been inspired by so many things around me.

I'm writing in my journal almost daily...and songs are find their way to me on a daily basis as well...

I commute for work and yesterday as I rode out of the city on the train and then again last night coming back into Manhattan...two songs found me. Both are very different. I know they're only lyrics here...but I do "hear" them in my head. The first I wrote in about four minutes. When I finished I looked up...then looked back down at my chicken scratch and re-read it. It said everything I needed it to say. It's called Name the Fear.

Last night, late, I was heading home. I read a few pages of Harry Potter, took a phone call, listened to my iPod...then stopped and put everything away. Within minutes I had Find Me.

When talking with a couple of friends last week...we talked about fears. One mentioned that if you name the fear - it isn't as scary.

I wasn't sold on the idea.

To me naming the fear meant that not only was it scary...it was scary with a name.

This song is from the other side...written as if I'm a big boy. With no fears and able to save others. In other words, I put myself in someone else's shoes to seem more confident.

Name the Fear
8/5/09
Thanks, KH


v1
Look me in the eyes
Sit your soul down
Inside my voice
Nothing you say can surprise
Things will shine through
It’ll be clear
When you find the words
To name the fear

Chorus
Baby, name the fear
Nothing can reach you here
What you’re facing
Has to get by me to get to you
And I’m not letting anything through
I swear
All you need to do, is name the fear

v2
That vow of silence, bend
I’m not that far ahead
Of where you are
How it starts, how it ends
When what was far
Comes dangerously near
Cornered in a round room
Forced to name the fear

Chorus



And the second...

I'm always intrigued by relationships and how well we know the people we love. This song came from really, really thinking about that...

How often do we let people in to see more of who we really are?

Find Me
8/5/09, 8/6/09

I’ve been right
I’ve been wrong
Come up short
And it’s taken long
To find me

I’ve been a saint
I’ve been a sinner
Lost everything
To feel like a winner
Still I find me

I’ve been there
I’ve been back
Surrendered
Only to attack
So I find me

Chorus

You say
That time always tells
You say
You know me well
Truth is
You know what I let you see
Truth is
I’m my own discovery
I don’t even know me
So can’t ever know
You’d be so far ahead, you’d be behind
You’d be the first person
Standing in the wrong line
It’ll just start again
So count backwards from ten
Then see
If you find me