Thursday, August 20, 2009

6 of the New Songs...In One Post

So...here are 6 of the most recently posted songs...all in one place.


If you want to check out some snippets about when, where and why each song was written...just scan some of the previous posts.


Enjoy.

-J


Planets and Stars

10/08, 2/14/08, 8/15/09, 8/18/09


v1

Careful,

Quiet now

Do you see

Above in the sky

So easily lost in this moment

So deeply lost in your kiss

I don’t want to miss

Just how the planets and stars align

The very moment you become mine

Chorus

Saturn, Orion, Jupiter, Mars

All fears set adrift

As the planets shift

Bathing in the light of a sky full of stars

All chances done

Like eon old suns

This love, our love

Will heal time-remembered scars

As witnessed by

The planets and stars

v2

Easy,

Here now

Do you know

How it feels to love you

So intensely how you love me

So easy to be with you right here

Outside in the clear

Under this dark blue blanket sky

Lying still we close our eyes and fly

Chorus

Bridge

Stay close beside me

Practice your astronomy

Connect the freckles on my skin

Left over from the day’s sun

Lay down beside me

Tell me dreams held in secrecy

Making love in a night air so thin

‘Til the blue sky of morning come



Overdue Love Song

8/13/09, 8/15/09

v1

This is it

This is the one

It should’ve been written

Way before

We were done

There’s no counting

The stars in the sky

Or missed

Opportunities

But this is a chance

If only for the record

A second chance

For days past to be rediscovered

Chorus

Here it is

A half-ass explanation

Here it is now,

Eyes-wide resignation

An apology

To you, from me

For knowing what was right

While I got it wrong

Here it is

Just an overdue love song

v2

Hear from me

I wasn’t blind

You were truly beautiful

I was lucky

To call you mine

You were deserving

Of knowing me

Not just my

Insecurities

Run from yes to maybe

There is no excuse

Only a maybe

Lost inspiration or a misplaced Muse

Bridge

One day, should you hear this song

On the radio

You won’t even have to second guess

You’ll just know

Sure it’s too little, too late

That’s how I know,

Some times in life, we create our own fate




Bring Me Bruises

8/15/09

v1

Your eyes

Brings no solace

Your touch

No longer sets me free

Outside of the pain

It’s left me ambivalent to your answers

When you try to explain

You say you hurt

Like me

You say you wish

I could see

Chorus

I say

Bring me bruises

Come back

When you are

Wearing evidence

Bring me bruises

Return

When your proof

Is real experience

v2

Your heart

Shares no memory

Your words

Hold no shred of salvation

Hanging in the air

It’s no longer left up to you

To decide how I care

You say you learn

I know

You say you feel

What I show

Chorus

Bridge

The extremes

From lost dreams

Sends me so far

Away from you

Come back when

You’re wearing scars

Chorus




Through

11/08, 8/15/09

v1

You

You of all people

Made it in record time

You stumbled right into this heart of mine

Unprepared, unaware

Of walls I can quickly mortar

And reckless traps I’ve been known to lay

Keeping ones like you at bay

But now here you are

Here you are

Chorus

Now, what do I say?

Now, what do I do?

When the one who didn’t even have to try

Made it through

I lose my defenses

You bring me back to my senses

Like only you know how to

So, now, what do I do?

v2

You

You of all the ones

Who came bravely before

You came in bringing less but demanding more

Unsuited, unaffected

Of how I made myself

With my self-trained power of persuasion

Making me easy to abandon

But now here you are

Here you are

Chorus

Bridge

Past broken hearts, played tricks on me

Turned me into someone, I gave myself the excuse to be

If there’s any chance for safety, any chance at all

Then build again, build a higher wall

This time dig, dig, a moat

Bloody your hands, and surrender hope

Then you

A smile and a mirror standing opposite me

Giving me permission
To set myself free

Chorus


Take Texas

4/5/08, 8/10/09, 8/11/09

v1

You and me

What do you know

We’re both here

Country music on the radio

I can find myself

Lost again

From the start

Wrapped in you

Two country boys at heart

Chorus

Never thought

No, I never thought

This New York City boy

Could be tempted to take Texas

But here I am

Yes, Here I am

Trading the subway for the sky

If it means getting an “us”

Our of you and me

Then baby, I’ll take Texas

v2

Didn’t take much

To make me fall

A well-timed kiss

Another dropped “Ya’ll”

I could see myself

Right here

Right with you

I fit right in

Then it all comes true

Chorus

Bridge

I lose all sense

Lost in that Southern cadence

You in white T-shirt and blue jeans on

Standing six foot, nine

Smiling sly at me

Next thing, I’m just doing time

Counting minutes

Til I give up

Manhattan’s skyline

Chorus


To See You Happy

8/6/09

For ARB

v1

So this is how it feels

When enough time has past

Making things real

Get a little distance

Allow the hurts to heal

From here

I can look at you and finally understand

I was many things

Just not enough to be your man

Chorus

It’s good

To see you happy

And now

To see you happy

Means so much to me

It’s right

To see you happy

So good

To see you happy

As you deserve to be

v2

I will let the future thaw

And just rest outside the past

Though it still feels raw

Trips my tongue

Sticks to my jaw

Doesn’t come easy to call you a friend

Given our history

But our lives will let us write the end

Bridge

I can hold the memory

He’ll hold you, instead of me

It’s gentle ache

To acclimate myself to

A quiet break

I appreciate when I see you