Wednesday, August 19, 2009

On the High Line / Planets and Stars



So fresh off vacation - I had a day off from work yesterday. I had some errands to run but I decided that if I did nothing else I would re-visit the High Line Park.

In June the High Line opened and


it is one of my favorite spots in NYC. Before the famous subway went underground it ran on rails above ground. Those tracks have long been abandoned and an eye-sore.

Several years ago a group of guys decided to transform the rails into an above ground park. Using wildflowers and the original tracks the park currently runs from Gansevoort Street to 20th Street. Eventually it will continue up the West side of Manhattan to Javitts Convention Center.

It is beautiful. I love the concept and how its been executed. It is a great escape that incorporates both the concrete and steel and nature of Manhattan.

I went down close to sunset...I walked. I read. I had my journal with me but before I had a chance to settle again I heard a familiar French voice. I looked to my right and saw my friend Luc sitting on a bench talking to a lady who had lost her camera. Within 5 minutes we were joined by Luc's boyfriend (and dear pal of mine) Marcos. Once again I had smile and laugh that even in a city of 8 million...it is still possible to run into someone you know.

When I got back to my neighborhood and was leaving the subway station at 116th Street...the sky had opened up and it was pouring rain. It was a deluge. Lightening and thunder sparked and cracked across the sky and the streets flooded.

I ran home and was soaked through and through...but it was still a wonderful day. I spent the last couple hours, before going to bed, working on a couple more songs. I'm working on a love song to New York City...it is a city that constantly inspires and challenges. There's no where else like it in the world. My love song for NYC (can't give away the title just yet) isn't finished...so I thought I would share another love song.

Planets and Stars is a romantic, intimate love song. Some of my friends say that I write a lot about heart ache and longing...this song will prove them wrong. This song is all about falling in love and closeness.

Planets and Stars

10/08, 2/14/08, 8/15/09, 8/18/09

v1

Careful,

Quiet now

Do you see

Above in the sky

So easily lost in this moment

So deeply lost in your kiss

I don’t want to miss

Just how the planets and stars align

The very moment you become mine

Chorus

Saturn, Orion, Jupiter, Mars

All fears set adrift

As the planets shift

Bathing in the light of a sky full of stars

All chances done

Like eon old suns

This love, our love

Will heal time-remembered scars

As witnessed by

The planets and stars

v2

Easy,

Here now

Do you know

How it feels to love you

So intensely how you love me

So easy to be with you right here

Outside in the clear

Under this dark blue blanket sky

Lying still we close our eyes and fly

Chorus

Bridge

Stay close beside me

Practice your astronomy

Connect the freckles on my skin

Left over from the day’s sun

Lay down beside me

Tell me dreams held in secrecy

Making love in a night air so thin

‘Til the blue sky of morning come