Sunday, August 16, 2009

Errands, Bryant Park & Through

So today...back in the city...

I head back to work tomorrow and that gave me some time run errands and transition back into NYC life.

While I was out running errands I popped over to Byrant Park and officially traded in the past few days of soaking in the sun at the beach to soaking in the sun (and noise) of the city.

I had my journal with me so I decided to grab a chair and sit at one of the small, green cafe tables and write for a bit. I realized that I had been away for a week and even with amble time I had not cracked my journal once.

I had been busy with song writing...so that kinda counts, right? My songs have always been like mini-snapshots of a journal. That's one of the reasons I date my songs...if someone ever wants to...they can take my Journal, this BLOG and my songs and line up and have a biography that's ready to go.

Since the trip was so productive for me artistically, I gave myself a break on not writing in my journal.

In the park today, under the great canopy of trees (pictured above), I was able to catch up a bit in my journal. Reading back over today's entry I noticed that it did borrow heavily from a couple of the songs I wrote last week.

Speaking of songs...

Here's another one to share...this one is a hybrid. I started writing it months ago and yesterday, while waiting at the airport, I deconstructed it, reconstructed it and got it finished. I want a better title but for now it will have to do....it's called Through.

I have several songs to share but since Bring Me Bruises was darker, I wanted something lighter and happier...Through.

This song is about being out of a relationship...and not really looking. Then someone, unexpectedly, makes it through to you.

Through

11/08, 8/15/09

v1

You

You of all people

Made it in record time

You stumbled right into this heart of mine

Unprepared, unaware

Of walls I can quickly mortar

And reckless traps I’ve been known to lay

Keeping ones like you at bay

But now here you are

Here you are

Chorus

Now, what do I say?

Now, what do I do?

When the one who didn’t even have to try

Made it through

I lose my defenses

You bring me back to my senses

Like only you know how to

So, now, what do I do?

v2

You

You of all the ones

Who came bravely before

You came in bringing less but demanding more

Unsuited, unaffected

Of how I made myself

With my self-trained power of persuasion

Making me easy to abandon

But now here you are

Here you are

Chorus

Bridge

Past broken hearts, played tricks on me

Turned me into someone, I gave myself the excuse to be

If there’s any chance for safety, any chance at all

Then build again, build a higher wall

This time dig, dig, a moat

Bloody your hands, and surrender hope

Then you

A smile and a mirror standing opposite me

Giving me permission
To set myself free

Chorus