Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Cocoa Beach/Ronnie Coleman/Dance to the Edge of Heaven

I'm enjoying a week away from NYC...

I'm back at Cocoa Beach. Soaking up the sun. Sleeping in late. Reading. Writing.

I've brought along a couple of projects to work on when I'm out of the sun - I had to put them on the back burner when I received the news that a friend from my youth, Ronnie Coleman, had passed away.

I was shocked and saddened by the news. Huntington's Disease had not been kind to him and it had robbed him of many of the things that made him iconic in my memory. His passion and love of dance come to my mind. As a teenager I would marvel at him...he'd watch a video on MTV two times and then replicate it in the living room.

Hands down my favorite memory is when I went with him and a bunch of friends to see Amy Grand in concert in Orlando. We had floor seats just rows from the stage. When the show started he and I were on our feet living the music. That's what you did a concert. You danced. You sang. You joined in the experience.

Not everyone joined in. Ronnie and I were asked by the people sitting behind us if we'd sit down. Repeatedly they asked. We would try...then a song we loved would start and we couldn't contain ourselves...we'd be back on our feet.

Several songs into the concert, and after being asked again, we sat down. Between songs Ms. Grant started talking about music and how it touched people in different ways. Then she added, "Like these two guys over here...just dancing to every song. They came to have a good time. Guys I hope you dance all night. Have a good time!"

With Amy's blessing we did exactly that.

When I think of Ronnie...I think of dance. After receiving the news that he passed away last Friday...I could hardly think of anything else.

I sat down and wrote this song for him...and all those who love him and will miss him.

Dance to the Edge of Heaven
8/11/09
for Ronnie Coleman


v1
Hear the music play
No reason to stay
Let go, get away
Dance to the edge of Heaven

Exhale close your eyes
Find your piece of sky
Let go, let fly
Dance to the edge of Heaven

Chorus
This is your time
This is your chance
Dance to the edge
The edge of Heaven
Free of a body that kept
You on an invisible ledge
Dance to the edge
The edge of Heaven

v2
Feel the wind in your hair
No one there to care
Let go, on a dare
Dance to the edge of Heaven

Inhale the clean light
As you take flight
Let go, of the fight
Dance to the edge of Heaven

Chorus

Bridge
Dance out the day
Dance out the night
Dance to the One
Who holds the light

Dance on your way
Dance on your own
Dance to the One
Who sings you home