Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Overdue Love Song

Here's another song from my writing days at the beach...

It's called Overdue Love Song. I wanted this song to be playful and honest...with an emphasis on honest.

This song was written from the vantage point of being a writer and artist but not using that creative force in a relationship until it's too late. For whatever reasons I tend to write more before or after a relationship...something to work on...

Overdue Love Song
8/13/09, 8/15/09

v1
This is it
This is the one
It should’ve been written
Way before
We were done

There’s no counting
The stars in the sky
Or missed
Opportunities
But this is a chance
If only for the record
A second chance
For days past to be rediscovered

Chorus
Here it is
A half-ass explanation
Here it is now,
Eyes-wide resignation
An apology
To you, from me
For knowing what was right
While I got it wrong
Here it is
Just an overdue love song

v2
Hear from me
I wasn’t blind
You were truly beautiful
I was lucky
To call you mine

You were deserving
Of knowing me
Not just my
Insecurities
Run from yes to maybe
There is no excuse
Only a maybe
Lost inspiration or a misplaced Muse

Bridge
One day, should you hear this song
On the radio
You won’t even have to second guess
You’ll just know
Sure it’s too little, too late
That’s how I know,
Some times in life, we create our own fate