Sunday, August 16, 2009

Home / Bring Me Bruises

There are so many things to love about NYC...

Trying to get home from the airport at midnight, isn't one of them. My checked bag was delayed coming off the plane and I missed not one but two M60 buses (my $2 key back into Manhattan).

When midnight came and went...I sucked it and got a cab. I just wanted to be home. We all know that feeling...being away and just wanting to walk through our own door.

It was a full day of traveling...from leaving the beach to hanging out in the Tampa airport for 6+ hours. I'm very proud that I put the time to good use...I worked on 10 songs, finishing 6 of them.

The first is a song I started four or five years ago...the title, Bring Me Bruises, came to me again while I was walking on the beach a few nights ago. I don't know whatever happened to the original I started writing so long ago, so I sat down and started from scratch.

This song came out of the ending of a relationship...and it's a little darker, heavier. There was a lot of back and forth...and questioning and second-guessing. I became a safety net when the grass ended up not being greener.

Bring Me Bruises
8/15/09

v1
Your eyes
Brings no solace
Your touch
No longer sets me free
Outside of the pain
It’s left me ambivalent to your answers
When you try to explain

You say you hurt
Like me
You say you wish
I could see

Chorus
I say
Bring me bruises
Come back
When you are
Wearing evidence
Bring me bruises
Return
When your proof
Is real experience

v2
Your heart
Shares no memory
Your words
Hold no shred of salvation
Hanging in the air
It’s no longer left up to you
To decide how I care

You say you learn
I know
You say you feel
What I show

Chorus

Bridge

The extremes
From lost dreams
Sends me so far
Away from you
Come back when
You’re wearing scars

Chorus