Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Go to Him / Unguarded / Something More

The writing continues.


A lot of the songs I finished a week or two ago but I'm trying to balance out when they're posted. This is a good mix.


The first, Go to Him, is reflective of a relationship that is caught - maybe in its own evolution. As I've said before, unrequited love is the basis for many songs. This is one of those instances. Sometimes when you're too close to that person who's wanting to be close to someone else - you lose your perspective.


The next song, Unguarded, is from last weekend. It is a sexy, summer song...that I wrote close to midnight on the train coming back from White Plains, New York. When I re-read it - I feel like I should've written it while sitting on the stoop to my building or while stretched out in Central Park. The song is about complete abandon...running headfirst into a crush. That first smile. That first look. I imagine this taking place on my New York City rooftop during a block party.


Something More is the last song and is one of my recent favorites. This song is about discovering and striking that balance when a new relationship is growing into...well...something more. There are little things that happen, when you least expect them, that let you know you're falling in love. Then there are the not-so-little things...when you find yourself making space to incorporate someone else into your life. Those experience are my favorites...I like those tell-tale signs that you're completely falling for someone...when you catch yourself saying "we" and "us" instead of "me" or "mine."


Enjoy.

-J



Go to Him

8/12/09, 8/15/09

v1

I don’t need details

I don’t need rhyme

Or reason

This choice isn’t new

It no longer

Tastes of treason

The bed you made

Is where you both will lie

I’ve let go

Or at least I try


This feels like more

Than either of us

Bargained for

To great a sacrifice

To not be with you

But still share your life


Chorus

We can’t move on

With you looking back

Deciding who to save

Yourself or me

You can’t come along

With me pulling back

Making me be brave

Instead of free

So let me go, let me go, let me go

To sink of swim

Let me go, let me go, let me go

And go to him


v2

I don’t need escape

I don’t need cause

Or effect

This is no mystery

No speak easy

Or lost secret

I know fully

Who we were to each other

Has been lost

Left to bury and cover


This feels like more

Than either of us

Is really ready for

Always too close to you

Deep inside your skin

Like your first tattoo



Unguarded

8/22/09, 8/23/09


v1

Feel the sun

Turn up the music

Feel this groove

Turn up you

Make your move

It’s summertime

Baby, I’m feeling fine

I’m here waiting on you

Waiting on you


v2

Feel the air

Turn up the sound

Come get close

Turn up you

Make the most

Of summertime

Baby, I’m feeling fine

Don’t over think this

Let’s just kiss


Chorus

Let loose

The ties that bind

Let go

Let fly, be mine

Throw caution to the wind

Your plans all discarded

And let’s run into this, arms wide

And unguarded

Maybe hit and miss, then ride

And live unguarded


Bridge

Lights go low

Temperatures rise

We all know

It’s no surprise

Colored lights hang off the roof

In my eyes you’ll see the proof

Lean close, lean in and listen

This kiss is your permission



Something More

6/12/08, 8/17/09


v1

I like your toothbrush in my bathroom

Your clothes left on my floor

These everyday

Throw away’s

Make me think there’s something more

Yep, I'm pretty sure, there’s something more


v2

I like how you just go to things in my kitchen

When you slip and say “our” bed

The little things

You just bring

Make me thing there’s something more

Yep, I'm pretty sure, there’s something more


Chorus

Something more

About you

Something more

About me

Something more

You feel

Something more

You see

I've got no clue what will follow today

But that something more makes the unknown feel ok

I'll gladly settle for

Something more


v3

I like how your head always finds my pillow

Your shoes kicked by the door

You're in the way

Most everyday

Makes me think there’s something more

Yep, I'm kinda sure there’s something more


Chorus


Bridge

Stay

And let’s drive each other crazy

Stay

And let’s make each other sane

I'll make room in my closet

I’ll make room in my bed

Why go back to your place

Stay

Right here, let's make this Our place instead


Chorus