Sunday, August 23, 2009

Witness to My Life / Connie & Karen's Wedding





Back in March of this year had the honor and privilege of flying home to Atlanta for the wedding of my pastor Connie to her partner, Karen. It is always good to be back in Atlanta and my trip was made even more special by sharing in their special day.

As a wedding gift I wrote a song for the two of them called Witness to My Life. This marks only my second "Wedding"-style song, the first being Let Me Walk Beside You which wrote (and sang with music written by Dennis Lewallen) for my brother's wedding.

After experiencing such an incredibly beautiful, moving ceremony - I scrapped the song with a promise to revisited it. A couple weeks ago I sat down with the lyrics and these photos from the ceremony and started again.

With their permission, I'm sharing it here.

Witness to My Life

For Connie & Karen

3/14/09, 3/19/09 8/11/09

v1

This is the story

Of you and me

One and one

Upheld by many

The writing of our history


Surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses

Grounded in the grace of ages

We have found what we will name as True

I have found love

I have found you


Chorus

Be a witness to my love

Be a witness to my life

As my love

As my life

In a million moments

Threaded through thousands of days

Every season beautiful

Every season difficult

Stand beside me

And I beside you


v2

This testimony

Of you and me

Reaches beyond here

For all to see

Honoring Love’s mystery


Above all in this life it’s you I promise to treasure

Our love will be how we measure

This love we know to be pure, worthy and true

I have found love

I have found you


Chorus


Bridge

So for all of days

Be a witness to my life

As my lover, friend and wife

As a mirror of the best and worst in me

Bind us together

To set us free