Saturday, May 14, 2005

Africa & Toronto

I’m in Toronto. Haven’t been in NYC two weeks and I’m already back on the road. This is a quick trip up to present our Fall 2005 titles to our Canadian distributor.

I was up early this morning to get to the airport. I’ve never flown out of NYC from Newark, New Jersey and I wanted to make sure I had plenty of time. I had been given different suggestions by different New Yorkers and tourists on how to get from the City out to Newark. I settled on the advice I always trust, Damon, my New York Guardian Angel (hey, we all need one folks.). Whenever he flies out of Newark he takes an express bus from Port Authority for $11. Sounded good to me, so that’s what I did.

I got to the airport with time to spare. I had my international calling card with me, so I rang up my Mom & Dad in Africa. Mom was out getting medicine for my Dad, so I talked with him for a bit and got the news on his morning visit to the hospital and an apparent seizure he had suffered. He sounded good, like there was nothing wrong and went on to tell me about a chronic sore throat he was battling. He said that on a scale of 1 – 10 it was a 13. He had been given the wrong medicine and had had a seizure. He remembers very little of it but said that Mom stayed over him, praying, as they rushed him to the hospital. It was a terrifying situation for her but amidst it all she stayed focus and grounded.

I was scared to hear about the seizure but relieved that he was home and seemed to be doing well.
I got here to the hotel and have laid everything out for my presentation tomorrow. I have the catalog, more notes and sample chapters to go over. My work is cut out for me.