Tuesday, May 24, 2005

STUDIO 54!

Last night was a lot of training with the Roundabout Theater. There are several people starting at once. It is fun to be working in the heart of Times Square. I’m enjoying reading about the productions Roundabout Theater has produced or will be producing in the upcoming season.

I’ve been to shows with Roundabout Theater several times. The first was Major Barbara starring Cherry Jones that I mentioned a week or so ago. Of course at the time I didn’t realize that it was a Roundabout show.

In the last two years I’ve seen both the dark revival of the musical Cabaret (starring Deborah Gibson, at least when I saw it) as well as last year’s Tony Award winning musical, Assassins (starring Neil Patrick Harris, Dennis O’Hare, and many other theater greats.) at the famed STUDIO 54 Theatre, which is a Roundabout house.

Most of the people in the office are connected to the theatre world in some way. I look forward to meeting new people and making some new friends.

At home we’re getting more and more unpacked. Elizabeth is working through her boxes – I completely know the feeling. The living room is taking shape and the kitchen has shelves.

I’m so proud of her. I know this is incredibly hard and a huge life change. I know because I feel it as well. Last night when she met me after work, we went down to Chelsea to grab a bite to eat and get online at the BIG CUP. While we were eating I asked her about the other times she’d visited New York. Her visit over New Year’s earlier this year was her first and only trip to NYC. I was floored. I had assumed (you know what they say about assuming) that, because of her background in theater, that she had been her on several occasions. I guess I thought because I came up here 2 or 3 times a year that other people did as well.

I was wrong. When she arrived last week that was her second time coming to Manhattan. I told her that was she’s done and is doing is amazing. This is ALL unknown to her. There are large parts that are unknown to me but at least things are familiar in a lot of respects.

I admire her so much. I know she misses Nathan and her family terribly. She puts on a brave face (about 4 dozens times a day) but when I look at her when she doesn’t know I’m looking at her, I can read what she’s feeling. No matter how you cut it – this is HUGE.

I just can’t say enough how proud I am that she’s trusted in herself to get to this point.