Saturday, May 21, 2005

Finally Getting Dirty

CeCe left early this morning heading back to Providence. It was good to have him here for a while. He was a lot of help getting more of Elizabeth’s stuff moved in and with the trip to IKEA. The four flights of stairs will take it out of you…and extra pair of hands is always good.

I showed Nathan and Elizabeth the neighborhood. We went up to the library on 125th. We all had our notebook computers in tow. I showed Elizabeth were the grocery store is (though I STILL haven’t been myself! When I met CeCe at Penn Station the other day he asked if I was eating. I said, “Let me put it this way. I haven’t missed a meal – but I have postponed a couple.”).

Nathan & Elizabeth met up with some friends and friends-of-friends and I ventured back into the theater district and can proudly report that this afternoon I FINALLY scored a ticket to Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. I was the 2nd name they called at the lottery. I was on the first row (for $26!) and was completely taken in by this musical comedy. Talk about entertainment and performers giving everything they’ve got!

I loved every minute of the show. I’ve never seen the movie that it is based on, so I had nothing to compare it to. I was thrilled with the performances by Joanne Gleason, Sherie Rene Scott, John Lithgow and…my favorite…Norbert Leo Butz. For me, he completely stole the show. He was an incredible comic force on the stage from beginning to end. I’ve only seen him in Wicked (in the underwritten part of Fieryo) but I’ve been a big fan of his off-Broadway recording of the show The Last 5 Years (also with Sherrie Rene Scott). Watching him in person was simply breathtaking. His energy and charisma are tangible. He’s electric.

EVERY person in the theater was given a copy of the original Broadway Cast album of the show, which was a big surprise. It is the full CD featuring the entire score. So, I was on the front row and had a recording of the show…all for $26.

Good times.

Visit:
www.dirtyrottenscoundrels.com
When the show was over I headed back to the apartment. Elizabeth & Nathan are still out. My eyes are getting heavy and I don’t think I’ll be able to wait up for them.