Friday, May 27, 2005

The View from a Bridge & HOME DEPOT

After seven days (!) the rainy, drizzly weather has let up. We crossed our fingers last night when we went to bed and woke up this morning was bright blue skies.

So, went straight to our plan A for the morning (we didn’t really have a plan B, but we would’ve thought something up.). At 7am we got on a 5 express train headed for the south end of Manhattan. We switched over to a C train and took it to the first stop in Brooklyn. We walked out into the sunshine and were just 2 blocks from the Brooklyn Bridge.

Together we walked across the Brooklyn Bridge back to the city. From atop the bridge I called my brother Tim (but didn’t get him) and Mama Dell (Elizabeth’s mom, whom I did reach) to share the experience.

As we crossed the bridge it was so cool to see the city laid out in front of us. We snapped pictures like tourists from a square state in the middle of America. The city was shining and the air was crisp. It felt like a postcard. In the distance we could see Lady Liberty holding her torch high. Looking at the skyline stirred a real loss for the World Trade Center buildings that anchored that end of the island. The topic of the new buildings or designs is a hot button in the city right now. Every day there is an article about what buildings will go there to honor the loss of lives taken on September 11th and what purpose they should serve.

We got back on the train and headed up a few stops to Home Depot. Having grown up around Home Depots my entire life, it was fun to see this 4 story Home Depot tucked into the middle of a metropolis. I thought of Dad and my friend Jackson as we walked in. The business is narrow in some spots and sprawling in others. The Lawn & Garden department is represented…even if it is two stories under ground.

Elizabeth and I shopped a bit for things needed for the apartment. We’re adding more shelves in the kitchen so we have places to put her pots and pans. We picked up hooks for the mugs and a new deadbolt.

Bags in hand and under arm we got back on the subway and headed home. We just walked in a few minutes ago. Elizabeth is grabbing a quick nap before we continue tackling the apartment. I decided to log a quick journal entry (I’m LOVING have wireless internet at home!) and I think I’ll post a couple of pictures from the last week or so.

Thank you for all the phone calls, emails and letters. I’ve been overwhelmed by the number of people following my journal. I hope you’re enjoying it as much as I am. (Check out the NEW pictures below)
J

P.S. Yes, Greg, I am writing RIGHT NOW. Sorry I missed your call.